Avios is ending its programme in SA: Here's what you need to know
Avios announced on Thursday that they will be closing their Travel Rewards Programme in South Africa from 31 May 2019.
Up until that date, members will be able to spend what points they have, but any Avios points remaining in your account afterwards will be lost.
This can also be converted to Travel bank credit on kulula.com to be used towards any Kulula flights at any time in the future.
Any flight or hotel bookings made through the Avios Travel Rewards Programme before 31 May 2019 are safe, even if you travel after this date.
Why is it closing? This is their response on the website:
"Avios Group (AGL) Limited is committed to improving the customer experience and by closing the Avios Travel Rewards Programme in South Africa, customers will be provided with a simpler collection and redemption experience through offering only one Avios collection programme - British Airways Executive Club. The company will continue to focus on enhancing the Avios currency to its airline loyalty programme partners."
If you want to keep your points and keep collecting after the programme closes, you need to do the following before the closing date:
- Open a British Airways Executive Club account (if you're already a member then no need to create a new one).
- Transfer your Avios from your Avios Travel Rewards Programme account to your new British Airways Executive Club account. Click here to transfer.
- It's important that your personal details must match on both accounts in order to transfer your Avios.
This is how other Avios partners are affected from 31 March:
- BP will no longer be a partner with both Avios and the British Airways Executive Club, thus no point can be collected.
- You will no longer be able to collect points with your Avios Credit Card. Your bank will contact you soon on replacing the card, and you can get a British Airways Credit Card with Absa if you switch over to the Executive Club.
- Other partners you will no longer be able to collect from include Pick n Pay, Wine-of-the-Month Club and Sotheby's, even with your new Executive Club account.
For any more queries, contact them here.
Find Your Escape by searching and comparing flight prices here. You can also sign-up for the Traveller24 Weekly Newsletter – Subscribe here. Or download the News24 App here, to receive expertly curated travel ideas and deals directly to your mobile.