WATCH: Would you go Reindeer Sledding in Røros, Norway?
Travel with World Nomads Colleen Hagerty to Røros, a UNESCO World Heritage village, as she takes in the sites and taste of this fascinating place, including a relaxing reindeer sledding trip.
While the town might seem quaint, quiet and humble in activities, it actually brims with them.
Things you can get up to in the picturesque town include:
- Take a horse drawn carriage tour through the town and its streets lined by storybook-worthy wooden houses.
- Visit one of the oldest buildings in Røros, Norway - the church and learn about the town's history.
- Pop on over for a bite at Røros Delikatesser and indulge in some good, local cuisine. There is a real food culture here - boasting almost 50 food producers here crafting meals that range from Reindeer to jam to even mountain air encased in jars!
- Unleash your inner Anna and slip out to the frozen slopes and meet some lively, furry Reindeer.
- You can even evoke a little Christmas spirit as you play Santa while sledding down the slopes in true Claus fashion. And, despite what you might think, the ride it a gentle and relaxing one and red-nosed race.
- Round up your day with beer tasting over at Vertshuset Røros. You can indulge in good beer that is all locally made and each are inspired by crazy and bizarre stories that you can learn about as you chill out with a cold brew.
Some horse-riding safety tips you should know when touring the town on the four-legged beast:
- If you're going to take the reins make sure you know how to control your horse.
- Even if you are stopping and starting a lot, make sure that the cart is fully at a stand still before attempting to jump off or climb on the cart - to avoid injury or causing the horse to panic.
- Don't go too fast when trekking the town, you never know if there'll be a person or car suddenly in your path or right around the bend.
Find Your Escape by searching and comparing flight prices here. You can also sign-up for the Traveller24 Weekly Newsletter – Subscribe here. Or download the News24 App here, to receive expertly curated travel ideas and deals directly to your mobile.