WATCH: From Cape Town to Cape Point by side car (with a dog named Brody in the backseat)
I've always wanted to be part of a biker gang. Leather jacket, bandanna, attitude. Hella cool. Roaring down a street lined with restaurants with the greatest of ease. Anonymous, but still very much seen, you own that space and that moment.
I recently tagged along with a group of bikers just like this. But they are even cooler. I wore the jacket. The bandanna. And got the best seat in the house, in the sidecar. Brody, the Cape Sidecar Adventures dog kept me company as we glided down the streets of Sea Point, onto Clifton, Hout Bay and onto Chapman's Peak. Finally ending our drive at Cape Point.
Chauffeured Cape drives by sidecar are this adventure company's speciality. Brody is unfortunately not always part of the package, however you might just have the luck on your side when you book.
Book a few bikes or just one for the day or for a few hours and see Cape Town, the winelands or parts of the South Coast like you never imagined you'll see them.
NOTE: This is a disabled-friendly activity.
Here's an average day itinerary:
- Meet & Greet at your pickup point.
- Head out to Maiden's Cove via Atlantic Seaboard.
- ETA Maidens Cove 20 minutes. Stop for photos. (10 minutes)
- Continue along the coast towards Cape of Good Hope via Chapman's Peak Drive, Noordhoek, Oceanview and Scarborough.
- ETA Cape Point. 60 mins. Stop for 1 hour. (Visit the Cape Point lighthouse)
- Re-board your sidecar, head towards Boulders Penguin colony. ETA Penguins. 30 mins.
- After penguins, head towards Kalk Bay via Simon's Town & Fish Hoek. ETA Kalk Bay. 30 minutes.
- 1 hour for lunch + 1 hour walking tour of the village.
- Re-board sidecars, head over Boyes Drive to the Constantia Winelands. ETA Winelands. 30 mins.
- Stop for wine tasting 1 hr.
- After wine-tasting, continue back to the city via the southern suburbs.Total tour duration: 8 hours.
R 4 650 per sidecar with driver. Covers 1 or 2 passengers (2018/2019)
R 5 100 per sidecar with driver. Covers 1 or 2 passengers (2019/2020)
(This excludes guests' meal costs, entry fees, toll fees, tasting fees, any other personal expenses).