PICS: SA's West Coast flower season already blooming beautiful
It feels like winter has only started in the Western Cape. However, with the recent heavy rains, comes preparation for the glorious spring season.
But those are just two options across SA to consider - Check out these other eight, whether to see the flowers or the unique attractions across this gorgeous country.
The following images were taken just this past week and shared with Traveller24 by the West Coast Way.
"NOW at this very moment - at the entrance to Langebaan fields of flowers."
The West Coast National Park boasts an annual flower season during the months of August and September. Also, the West Coast Way’s Postberg Nature Reserve in West Coast National Park is set to open on 1 August.
"Head to Potsberg, only open for flower season"
While the rest of the park is open all year round - visitors flock in their numbers to the Postberg Section of the park which serves as a highlight on your visit especially because this section of the park is only open to the public during these two months of the year.
But the Postberg Section is not the only site which boasts flowers – the whole park is a nature-lovers dream, with vast areas to explore and a wide array of activities to indulge in such as hiking, biking and birding trails depart from Duinepos.
The Langebaan lagoon is also a water sport paradise and the park is also ideal for flower reviews in August and September in the Postberg area and the rest of the park
Here's what you need to know about this year's flower season:
- Head to the park early in the morning – especially if you’re visiting on a weekend.
- Make use of both the R27 and Langebaan gates but be prepared for a long queue on weekends and public holidays – these are the busiest times.
- The park has put extra measures in place to try and alleviate as much congestion at the gates as possible.
- There are self-drive Flower Tours to try – route maps will be given to you on entering the park - decide which one to do and explore the entire national park not just the Postberg Section.
- Spectacular flowers can also be seen at the Seeberg lookout point and throughout the whole park.
- Remember that Geelbek Restaurant is the only refreshment station in the park where food and drinks are sold.
- Bring your mountain bike and cycle up to Mooimaak – no vehicles are permitted up to this point -but the cycle or walk is worht it as the views rival that of Postberg.
For further information about flower season, visit theSANParks website or call them on 022 772-2144/5.
Traveller24 Tip: In case you didn't know it, South Africa is one of the sunniest countries in the world, according to the World Meteorological Organisation - which makes spring the best time to enjoy those golden rays without melting from the heat. The top places to chase the sun may just surprise you - take a look here.