WATCH: Tickle your tastebuds over at Kuala Lumpur's buzzing foodie street Jalan Alor
Malaysian cuisine can be considered the fusion of the best of all Asian cuisines in the region and its neighbouring countries - creating some of the world's most delicious and tastiest dishes.
Kuala Lumpur, the country's capital, is host of the famous Jalan Alor Food Street - which is the place to go to quell all of your foodie needs. Eat your heart out, chain restaurants and franchises!
CHECK OUT THIS Quick Guide: Make memories in Malaysia
This foodie hub is tucked away in Kuala Lumpur's busy shopping district, Bukit Bintang, and the street is lined with a diverse range of permanent hawker stores that serve Malaysian, Thai and Chinese street food.
Skip lunch and weave through the street at night for a feast of a lifetime!
Some highlights you can tickle your tastebuds with include:
- BAKKWA - Chinese-style biltong in a range of flavours.
- CORN, CHESTNUTS & FRIED CHICKEN - For a remotely healthy option, you could try snacking on some corn or roasted chestnuts, but if you're looking for something good and greasy, the fried chicken is your best bet.
- SEAFOOD - Get ready for a lot of fish! Jalan Alor has a ton of stalls specialising in seafood. So pick one and indulge in prawns, squid or an entire fish.
- GRILLED GOODS - You can also grab some grilled food along the street - sausage, pork, squid or even frog!
- SATAY - Indulge in some of the best Satay you're likely to eat in your entire life.
- DURIAN - You could also opt to get fruity with the king of fruits - Durian, which is a delicacy in many Asian countries. It is identifiable by its sweet melon-sized spiky exterior and its incredibly strong smell. In fact, its scent is so potent, the fruit has been banned for consumption on public transport and inside public buildings. So whip out some plastic gloves and dig in to the mushy sweetness.
- PUTU BAMBU - If you're not feeling adventurous enough for the daring Durian, you might want to consider this tasty option. Putu Bambu is comprised of a sweet cream cake steamed inside little bamboo shoots. The cake consists of pandan leaf, palm sugar and coconut - making it super fluffy, super yummy and super not-smelly.
Find Your Escape by searching and comparing flight prices here. You can also sign-up for the Traveller24 Weekly Newsletter – Subscribe here. Or download the News24 App here, to receive expertly curated travel ideas and deals directly to your mobile.