Want to be an elf in Finland? Santa is hiring
Want to take a trip to Christmas country, earn some cash and spread joy alongside Santa?
This might sound like some 90s Christmas movie, but it's real - Santa in Finnish Lapland is looking for Christmas elves to help make visitors' time in the world-famous Santa Village truly magical.
The opportunity is offered by Lapland Staff, who hire staff for various Lapland activities during the Christmas season.
They are looking for potential elves that are energetic, outgoing, and positive with good social skills, can speak English fluently and willing to work as an entertainer, guide and tour operator.
"As well as responsible, elves are silly! They are Santa's little helpers and make sure that everybody enjoys themselves. Elves tell stories and know secrets about Father Christmas. They are everywhere: at the tobogganing hill, at reindeer farm and at Santa's cabin. They play snowball fights and make tricks. Elves are children's best friends!" reads the job ad.
Elves work from the end of November until the end of December, and while short the work is very intensive. You'll get elf training and learn how to survive in the cold, and maybe get to have a little one-on-one with Santa himself!
If you don't think you're jolly enough to be an elf, Lapland Staff also has other positions like cooks, waiters, tour guides and husky guides for the dog lovers.
In terms of work permits, here's what you need to know:
- If you come to Finland from outside the EU for more than 90 days, you must apply for a residence permit.
- If you plan to work, you may need a residence permit even if your stay will be shorter than 90 days.
- You need to apply for your residence permit personally. You cannot apply for a residence permit e.g. for your spouse.
- Electronic application fee is 400 euros, paper version 600 euros.
- You'll find more info here.
This might just be one of the coolest (literally) holiday jobs in the world.