Budget for your Eurotrip with these 10 affordable cities
It's gap year and backpacking season once more and if you're looking for a Eurotrip that won't break your budget, check out these European cities ranked as the least and most expensive based on your daily cost.
The overall cost has been selected after weighing up the daily costs of hostel accommodation, transportation, meals, drinks and attractions.
The most budget-friendly European city is nestled in the historic streets of Istanbul, Turkey, while the city where you're likely to make your wallet cry and lose a spare organ is Zurich, Switzerland.
The daily estimated costs range from a reasonable R305 to a heftier R1 720 on average per day!
Pick your next budget friendly Eurotrip escape from the top 10 affordable cities ranked below:
(The daily costs are shown in Pounds and US Dollars on the interactive graphic. For the list below - the exchange rate used is currently: $1 (USD) = R14.63)
1. Istanbul, Turkey - overall daily cost: R305.11 ($20.85)
QUICK GUIDE TO TURKEY: Easy eVisa travel for South Africans
2. Kiev, Ukraine - overall daily cost: R372.58 ($25.46)
3. Krakow, Poland - overall daily cost: R385.02 ($26.31)
4. Belgrade, Serbia - overall daily cost: R394.97 ($26.99)
5. Bucharest, Romania - overall daily cost: R404.33 ($27.63)
FROM THE ARCHIVES: Wow! Meteorite turns night into day over Romanian city
6. Sofia, Bulgaria - overall daily cost: R454.38 ($31.05)
7. Budapest, Hungary - overall daily cost: R467.40 ($31.94)
8. Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina - overall daily cost: R484.09 ($33.08)
9. Riga, Latvia - overall daily cost: R493.89 ($33.75)
10. Zagreb, Croatia - overall daily cost: R504.87 ($34.50)
QUICK GUIDE TO CROATIA: Experience old-world charm in a coastal paradise
Find Your Escape by searching and comparing flight prices here. You can also sign-up for the Traveller24 Weekly Newsletter – Subscribe here. Or download the News24 App here, to receive expertly curated travel ideas and deals directly to your mobile.